This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

GSF.Historian vs OpenHistorian

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:50 AM
I'm a fan of this framework and I have been testing the TimeSeries libraries which I find easy and elegant.

I wanted to store my datapoints and I looked at the OpenHistorian project, which is a little bit of an overkill for me.
Then I saw the GSF.Historian package on nuget and looked at the source here. Perfect, datablock storage and retrieval plus more.
I don't see any tests for it and the autogenerated documentation is greek to me. I would like to know how to use it if there were any examples, otherwise I will have to just figure it out.
Curiously, I wonder why this library has not been used on the OpenHistorian project...

Thanks
Cos
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2016 at 4:06 PM
The historian code current in GSF is the "1.0" version of the historian - very good for archiving high-volume synchrophasor data. It it limited to floating point values and has limitations on how fast data can be read.

The openHistorian is the "2.0" version of the historian - it is designed to be much faster for both reads and writes. It can also store more flexible data types.

Both historians are viable options for archiving data. The "1.0" historian is still automatically included within the openPDC and the openHistorian is currently a stand-alone product.

Here is some documentation on the original "1.0" historian API:

https://www.gridprotectionalliance.org/NightlyBuilds/GridSolutionsFramework/Help/html/N_GSF_Historian.htm

Thanks,
Ritchie